Monday, November 7, 2011

Women's Half Marathon Recap

(Better late then never!)

Official time: 1:56:35

My goal, as mentioned before, was to break the 2:00 mark. To join that "club". My self confidence was down a bit the week leading up to this race. I was feeling a little burnt out, my legs a little heavy, not as light as I have before. I told myself I would get that PR, but I told my friends I would be OK if I didn't and that I was just going to have fun and enjoy the race.

And boy did I enjoy it. I was a little apprehensive of running an all Women's race. Was it going to be too much girl power? Too much pink and sparkles? Nope, it was awesome. From the beginning to end, I had a blast. 

Here is my course recap:

Start: I was in Corral 1 - ya OK. I was thinking there must be a lot of slooooow runners for me to be up that far.Wade dropped K and I off at the start vs. taking the bus. Awesomesauce. Found a few friends along the way. Bag check, port-o-potties, go time. Boom.


Miles 1-4: Flat, paved...down Scottsdale Road and some major side streets. Lots of spectators, chilly to start. 

Miles 4-6: Mainly flat, along the canal with KILLER mountain views. Started warming up right about here.


Mile 6: Tons of SPECTATORS...including my #1 fan. This was the first time Wade hasn't run with me, so it was really awesome and special to see him standing there cheering me on. I even veered over to give him a smooch!


Miles 6-8: Biggest hill of the course. I put my head down and powered through this bitch....another girl was right next to me and we were rooting each other on the whole time which was great and really helped me reach with top!


Miles 8-9: The leaders started passing us and holy sh*t were they fast. They looked so effortless as they cruised by at incredible speeds. We all cheered and threw our hands up in the air as each one passed...it was really fun and helped me to keep on plugging along.

9-12:  When my friend Raj popped up and yelled my name at mile 10.25, I was so surprised and HAPPY to see his face. He started running with me and told me he was going to run me up the big ol hill looming ahead. He said I looked fresh and strong and that a lot of people were looking tired (I'm sure he tells all his friends that). We had run together a couple weeks ago and he knew my goal, and he said I had it in the bag. That was the BIGGEST boost of confidence and put a giant smile on my face the rest of the race. The running community really is amazing! The rest of this portion was small hills (on and off ramps on the freeways). I felt great and very energized.


Miles 12-13.1: WINDY, slightly uphill towards the end....but FULL of cheering people and I think it made me run faster passing all the tired girls out there. (thanks Ragnar friends for forever stamping the word "KILL" in my head as I pass people) And of course,  knowing Wade was watching the clock and waiting for me!


I made sure I thanked EVERY person who handed me water or Gatorade, high fived every high school cheerleader and smiled at all the awesome spectators holding up signs....I saw some GREAT ones!


My only complaint.....the GU never made it on the course....which kind of sucked. I had brought my own GU Chomps, but ended up leaving them in my bag thinking it was one less thing to carry. After about mile 8, when I realized that I might not get anything for energy, I made sure I drank Gatorade at the next couple stops. Lesson learned.

I had no pain, no aches, no accidents (thank God)...my stomach was a little icky for several miles, but not enough to make me pull over.

This was by far my favorite race (not that I have a whole lot to compare)...not sure if it was the super fast Expo, the organized and on-time start, the energetic and VERY pink crowds (maybe the dude running in a pink tutu) or the PR, but whatever it was, I will definitely run this race again!

No comments:

Post a Comment