Sunday, July 15, 2012

Fall Racing & A Weekly Update

Is it bad that it's only July and I'm already planning my races for the Fall and Winter? Monsoon season has hit AZ and it has me yearning for cooler morning temps and sunny afternoons.

I'm dreaming off cold start lines and running with gloves. Planning my runs around the weather sucks...if I'm not up at 5:00 am, I'm pretty much stuck with running on the treadmill or late at night. Which I don't do well, because that gives me crazy legs.

I have already registered for a couple of races, which makes me super excited to keep plugging away at the miles!

I'm also very excited that Wade signed up for his first Triathlon! He has been talking about it for months and finally took the plunge and registered for an Olympic Distance race here in Tempe. I'm looking forward to be his support crew and #1 cheerleader.

Here is what I have as a "definite" so far:

August 19th, 2012
San Diego, California

 

October 7th, 2012
Rock 'n' Roll San Jose (yup, I'm a sucker)
San Jose, California



November 4th, 2012
Scottsdale, Arizona

February 17th, 2013
Glendale, Arizona 


I'm looking to find something (possibly a half) between August and November to keep me motivated and in shape. There is no shortage of races in December, so I just need to pick what I want to do.

I'm really happy with my past week of training...today is the 1st day I have taken off running since last Friday....8 days in a row so I am grateful for a day of nothing! It should work out that I have 6 days on and 1 day off each week, but some juggling of last week's days forced me to switch my rest day which I used as an active rest day and took a Flow/Vinyasa at the gym.

This past week was the first week I accomplished 6 days/week of running, which I have never done before. I was a little worried that I might not be able to hang or that my body might be angry with me, but I actually feel great and stronger than ever! My only struggle continues to be working on speed because I am still experiencing a lot of soreness throughout the week from my workouts with Naydine. This week was the first time I incorporated speed work into my training in weeks...it was really tough trying to amp up my pace with intervals on really sore legs and arms. I'm thinking my pace might be less than desired at my next half  (AFC) but that's OK because I feel good. My new Mizuno's (more on that later) have been amazing and I don't want to jinx myself, but I think I have found another "go-to" pair of distance shoes.

Recap:

Monday: Legs/Abs w/ Naydine + 5 miles easy (treadmill)
Tuesday: 6 miles (outside, hot @ 90 degree temps)
Wednesday: Upper body w/ Naydine + 5 miles easy (treadmill)
Thursday: 5 mile intervals -1 mile w/u,  5 800's at 8:15 with 400 jogs + cool (treadmill)
Friday: 5 miles (outside, humid & hot)
Saturday: 11 mile long run @ cabin + driveway plyo. Hilly, slow and humid + high altitude
Sunday: REST

Total Miles: 37 (yay!)

My Saturday reward was a mini DQ blizzard (yum) and a couple of these:

 (no need to dress up at the cabin, don't judge me)


Next weeks goal is to maintain training schedule with 4 days of weights and increase speed. Wish me luck.

Did anyone else have a successful week training/running/lifting/yoga-ing?

2 comments: